Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Learning More About My Nutrition

As I've been working towards my 20 time project, I've been spending most of my class time researching what foods are high in carbohydrates and fats and I've been keeping a log of all the foods I've been eating at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, each day. I've been making a chart to track the nutrients in the foods too, just as we did first semester when we did the Nutrition Analysis Activity. I learned that my regular diet is pretty bad because I go off-campus for lunch 4/5 days of the week, which explains why my nutrition analysis said I consumed a lot of carbohydrates and almost twice as many calories as I should be consuming. In addition, I've been keeping track of my mood throughout the day and I've realized that the myth about how eating unhealthy affecting one's mood might be true. I've been a lot crankier and irritable throughout the day, especially when I haven't eaten in a while. I'm hypothesizing that next month when I switch to eating healthier ever day, my carbohydrate and calorie intake will significantly reduce and my mood will increase. I think my lack of exercise this month has also played a role in my moodiness. I haven't come across any set backs as yet, but it's pretty clear that my 20 Time project has expanded what I learned in the Nutrition Analysis unit from last semester. People in the community need to be more proactive about keeping track of their diets and limiting their intake of excessively fatty foods and try to eat healthier. In addition, people need to start exercising regularly to improve their mood and burn excess fat gained from occassionally eating unhealthy foods.

1 comment:

  1. I think this topic is really interesting to explore more considering most of us face similar situations when it comes down to eating food. I would like to see the final outcome of you eating cleaner for a month and compare the end results.

    ReplyDelete