Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Heard a Stomach Grumbling in Class? It's probably mine.

Keeping track of my diet, just like we did in the Nutrition Analysis last semester has made me increasingly aware of how many carbohydrates I consume because of how often I eat food from restaurants. According to my doctor, I should be consuming about 1300 calories per day in order to maintain my weight and I consume almost double that. Though I genetically have a fast metabolism and so may appear skinny, I've learned that the reality is that I'm pretty unfit. The entire month I also noticed that I was pretty cranky and constantly tired. I just finished my month of eating how I normally do (my chart tracking my food intake is shown below) and have started a month of eating healthier. As I've begun this month, the main setback I've faced is that it's really hard to get out of my routine of skipping breakfast and having to constantly remind myself to go somewhere for lunch where I can get a salad. I also visited an doctor who specializes in bariatrics who did a couple tests, the results of which I should get next week. The next steps in my 20 time project are to start eating healthier and exercise more regularly to see how those two changes in my lifestyle could change how fit/healthy I am in just one month. I have a feeling that even though the change in eating and exercise habits was just for one month, the results will be very dramatic. If my hypothesis is supported, I hope to advocate that others also lead healthier lifestyles and are more conscious of what they eat. Looking at the chart after the last day of this month, I realized how bad my eating habits are. They have become so routine that I probably would not have noticed or tried to make a change for a very long time unless I had chosen it as my 20 time project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment