Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Sleep Diary

This assignment to keep a sleep diary made me extremely aware of my poor sleeping habits. According to my sleep diary, I get an average of 6.36 hours of sleep per night as opposed to the 9-10 hours of sleep that is recommended for teenagers. This explains why I often get extremely tired by the early afternoon, generally take a nap in the evening, and then can stay up late at night. I noticed during this exercise that I often couldn't concentrate as well during class in the morning as I could when I was doing my homework late at night. In addition, my parents complained a couple times this weekend that I was easily irritable which, as we learned in class, happens to be one of the effects of sleep deprivation. It would also explain why I've gotten sick a couple times this year already, as another effect of sleep deprivation is reduced immunity. From this exercise, I learned that I really need to start sleeping earlier and making sure I get at least 8-9 hours of sleep to ensure I don't throw off the secretion cycles of cortisol and melatonin in my body and to ensure I can be more awake and concentrated in class. This is especially important because I drive to school every morning and we learned from the reading, "The Promise of Sleep," how incredibly fast you can fall asleep when you're tired, without even knowing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment