Wednesday, May 31, 2017

20 Time Final Post: The Secret to Eating Healthy

To close my 20 Time project, I gave a TED Talk (below) about my journey throughout this project and what I have learned about this topic and about myself. I think my talk went extremely well. I was pretty nervous - as I always am before presentations - but I rehearsed my presentation multiple times throughout the week leading up to the talk and was able to deliver my talk pretty smoothly, so I'm very proud of myself. Watching the video I think I would definitely give myself a pretty good grade for this talk because I worked really hard on making my talk interesting and engaging and I really think I managed to make it both. Looking at the rubric, I think I had good voice inflection and managed to capture and maintain the attention of the class throughout my presentation. I provided examples while I talked about the process of my project in order to help the class relate to my presentation and fully understand the purpose of the presentation: to encourage people to start something that they've always wanted to try. I didn't come up with a specific product as a result of this project, however, I think I managed to do an excellent job of incorporating what I learned into my talk. I'm very enthusiastic about this topic, tried my best to stay within the time limit (but got a little bit carried away), had a works cited, images, and just tried my best to give an authentic and reflective presentation. 

The experience of preparing and giving this talk was very eye-opening. Most presentations that I've given throughout high school have been about the product and not about me, so it was a little difficult to turn this presentation around and talk about myself and my growth, rather than the product of the project. So, I started brainstorming ideas for what I could center my presentation around and finally realized that the main thing I learned was that in order to do something new, I had to find the motivation to simply start. Once I realized this, the rest of my presentation fell into place pretty quickly. This project was a huge learning process for me and I think it helped me grow a lot in terms of being more conscious about my diet and what I'm eating. I want to be a healthier person and the first step to that is adopting a healthier lifestyle. This is how I hope to continue my project into college: by being more aware of what I'm putting into my body.

It was also really cool to hear about how other people have been spending 20% of their class time. Each person did something very unique and different, which made all of the presentations engaging and interesting. It was really amazing to see how all these people in class around me had their own different and really big ideas of what they wanted to do for this open-ended project. I love how each person - through they found a stopping point for this project - either learned something about their chosen topic and/or decided to continue pursuing that topic throughout college. I think the idea of having a 20 Time project is so great, because every student got the change to explore and learn about something they wanted to. There was so much freedom, which made it a little difficult to navigate and time, but overall made the process of the 20 Time project more rewarding and educational in a way that was directly relevant to our own lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment